Youth Ministries is a vibrant and vital part of the life of Holy Innocents’ Episcopal Church. Our youth ministries are open to all 6th-12th graders and our mission is enabling young people to develop their walk with Christ and participate in ministry.
Our theme for the 2017-2018 school year is taken from the Matthew West song, “Do Something.” Here’s the video.
If you would like to be an adult chaperone for any of our youth events, please sign up here. You must be trained in Safeguarding God’s Children. It is a short class that is taken done online. Please contact Deacon Gary and he will set you up with the website and the code you need to take the class. It’s free of charge.
Here is some important information about upcoming events for youth, and links to different ways all youth can be part of this fantastic group.
- Youth Group Starts Up Again on September 6: After our usual summer hiatus, youth group is back again on Wednesday, September 6. We meet in conjunction with the larger church “Gathering” which starts at 6:00 p.m. If you can come for the food and fellowship of the dinner, please come at 6:00. If you can only come for youth group, we meet beginning at 7:00 in the youth room. Youth group meets every Wednesday evening after that.
- We’re going to the Matthew West concert in Lakeland on October 6! This is going to be an awesome concert and we’re offering tickets for $12! (Regular ticket prices is $22.) In order to get the discount, you must buy your ticket through our website by September 7. If you buy a ticket after that date, you’ll need to order through a ticket site and pay the full amount.
- Acolyte Training & Volunteers: Would you like to be a worship leader during our church services? The acolyte team is in need of new members. If you are 8 years of age or older and would like to participate in this important ministry, please contact Mr. or Mrs. Pergola or Deacon Art. You may also let us know at church. Training for all current and new acolytes will be held on Sunday, August 27, after the 10:30 service. Parents of acolytes are also encouraged to attend.
- Acolyte Festival at the Cathedral in St. Pete: The annual acolyte festival will be on Saturday, September 16, at the Cathedral. If you would like to attend, please notify Deacon Art or Mr. or Mrs. Pergola at the training on August 27, or email them at the above email addresses. The doors open at 8:00 a.m. that day, and registration begins at 8:30 a.m.
- New Beginnings: This diocesan event is a weekend retreat at DaySpring Episcopal Conference Center for youth in grades 6-8. You can read more about it here. The fall retreat will be September 29 – October 1, 2017. We will post it here when that date has been determined.
- Happening: This weekend retreat is also held at DaySpring, but it’s for all high-schoolers, grades 9-12. This year it will be held November 3-5, 2017. The registration deadline is October 20. You can read more about it and access the registration form here.
THE YEAR AHEAD
Here is the PowerPoint presentation that was given to parents and youth at the planning meeting on Sunday, August 13. Please take a look to see what’s ahead in youth ministry for 2017-2018.
- Medical Release Form: You must have this form filled out and notarized before you participate in any youth event with Holy Innocents’. Completed forms should be turned in to Melinda Carr or Kelle Schnabel at church.
- Questions: If you have questions about anything on this page or anything regarding the youth group at all, please don’t hesitate to contact the church office at 813.689.3130 or either of our youth leaders, Melinda Carr and Kelle Schnabel.
To see what offerings we currently have for youth on Sunday mornings during our 9:15 education hour, please click here.